Tuesday, July 19, 2011

If you wait too long to be brave...

...you might as well have stayed a coward. The result is the same. 

I saw a foinnne specimen of handsome, well-dressed, well-groomed, slight fro, highly-intellectual-appearing black man at the student center today. Sat no more than 30 feet from him. I caught his eye as I was sitting down in the TV lounge, and for the first few minutes of having entered each other's peripheral spheres, we exchanged a few glances. I smiled hoping to seem coy, and texted two of my best friends to explain the situation. They both sent words of encouragement, and one asked What do you have to lose? The answer was obviously nothing, so I got up to go to the bathroom, reapplied my lip gloss, and thought for a moment about what I would say. I settled on the cute and hopefully not creepy I would have been mad at myself all day if I left for work without introducing myself. But when I came back, he had leaned back into the seat and closed his eyes, as 4:45 is evidently the stroke of naptime. It was like I hadn't decided to be brave at all. Life gives us chances. They are fragile and fleeting and if we want them, we cannot put them off. We cannot sit and debate the options as if time is waiting for us. I love to live in my head, but I have to remember that we humans are creatures of action.

See, I know girls don't usually do this, but uh, I was wonderin...   

No comments:

Post a Comment