Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Anti-Lesbianism Drug

Read (or at least skim) this article before continuing.

...I respect the honorable intentions that I believe this woman set out with, of improving the quality of life for individuals born with CAH.

That being said, however, I strongly disapprove of almost everything else. First off, who says this woman has the right to define what truly being womanly is? What qualifies her to dictate what is and is not natural or right for a woman to want, do, or enjoy? Personally, I don't think that

"women having little interest in babies and men,... and being drawn to traditionally male occupations and games, is “abnormal.”"

 and I know quite a few women who would agree with me. I don't think it's unnatural for girls to be a tomboy, or to think monster trucks are cooler than paper dolls. I also don't think it's unnatural for boys to wear their mom's heels or to want to do ballet. I think gender roles are dying more and more quickly, and I want to do everything I can to speed the process, because they belong about 12 feet under. 
What New doesn't seem to realize she'd be doing is undermining the entire feminist movement for the sake of making these babies "real women". Taking away the desire to go into traditionally male fields? In this country, EVERY field is traditionally male! Taking away the desire to not bear children? Childbearing isn't for everyone, and there are too many population problems in the world anyway. I don't know how she missed the memo, but being a secretary and then leaving the workforce to raise your kids is NOT the norm for women anymore. Move over, 1950s...it's 20fucking10. Not everyone WANTS to be a wife and a mother, and that's fine!
And this is a bigger picture issue, but why should these mothers get to choose whether their daughters will want to be mothers themselves? Why should anyone get that sort of power over another human being? This isn't exactly genetic engineering, but it bothers me just the same. Every human being is unique; homogeneity weakens species. I don't believe in meant-to-be's, but I support letting nature have its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment