Thursday, August 12, 2010

30 Day Letter Challenge--Day Twenty-Six: To the person you're most inspired to meet

Dear ******,

It's funny how for this entire challenge I've had no idea who I would write this letter to, and you popped up into my life yesterday and I instantly knew this would be to you.
I had incredibly low expectations for this dating site thing. I really just did it out of boredom and my desire for a distraction from the mess that is my life, lol. Oh and because it was painful watching ***** try to find matches for me based off her profile, because even OKC only gives us a 77% friend rating, XD.
And my low expectations were pretty much confirmed when I searched within 25 miles of my hometown in the middle of nowhere New Jersey...nobody even remotely interesting. It didn't get much better when I searched within 25 miles of campus. I was going to call it quits, but some little part of me wanted to see what I was missing countrywide, so I expanded my search to 'anywhere' just for the hell of it. And that's how I found you.
After spending about 30 seconds on your profile, I realized I liked you more than any of the guys I'd spent the last two days looking at, and unlike most guys, the more I looked, the more I liked! You're really into grammar like me and I'm sure you'd love to play Scrabble. You're slightly taller than me, and a musician, and were an English major. We listen to a lot of the same kind of music, and there aren't many black (okay even half-black) guys I know who'd admit to loving Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Even fewer would write 'hold me' in cursive on their palm and hold it up for the world to see. (Even before I saw that, I wanted to hold you. That just multiplied my urge x infinity.)
Realizing that you were from Ohio and I'd most likely never get to meet you was so 
upsetting. It was like someone was dangling something wonderful in front of me and then snatching it away when I tried to grab at it. Before I left your page, I had to send you a message telling you how amazing I thought you were. It was an actual compulsion. If nothing else, it would be a nice ego boost for you, and who doesn't like a shot of self-esteem in the morning? So I messaged you, and told you that I thought you were adorable and I hoped my message would make you smile.
You didn't think I was creepy (thankfully) and messaged me back, saying it did make you smile, and that while Ohio was pretty far away, Philadelphia wasn't, and that's where you and your band would be playing a gig on Friday.   


*worldstop*

I told the friend who convinced me to sign up for OKC about you, and she all but screamed MAYA, THIS IS THE BIGGEST AND BEST SIGN FROM THE UNIVERSE YOU CAN EVER EXPECT TO GET. I don't really know if I even believe in signs from the universe, but if I did, I couldn't deny that this is one. And either way, I can't deny that I'm more into you than any other guy in my life, real or virtual. But alas, I don't drive, and none of my friends are willing to take me to your show. I'm not comfortable enough in Philadelphia to take the bus/train there and back by myself on a Friday night, even after having just spent 10 weeks in Chicago. Grr universe for sending me signs and then making them impossible to follow. If anything changes, I'll let you know that I'm coming. I want to come. I wish I could come. I wish I could sit in the front row and that you'd look into my eyes the whole time you were playing, and we could walk around the city holding hands til the wee hours of the morning, maybe finding a park bench or somewhere to cuddle for a little while. 
But then the night would have to end and I'd have to lose you. Maybe it's better to have never had you at all? Either way, my poor heart is so disappointed by life right now. 

If only...

Maya<3 

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the definition-of-bittersweet world of internet dating. sorrryyyy maya!

    ReplyDelete