Tuesday, August 3, 2010

30 Day Letter Challenge--Day Seventeen: To Someone from your Childhood

Dear ********,

You fbchatted me today just to say hey, and I took that as a sign from the universe that I should write today's letter to you. As my best friend in 2nd and 3rd grade who just mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth one day, you totally count as someone from my childhood. It's funny, I think about you a lot when I'm at school, because my eating club (don't ask) has a moose as its mascot, and the clearest thing in my memory of you is your love for moose. I think that's what inspired me to see if I could find you on facebook, and seeing as how you were friends with ******, that wasn't very hard to do at all. 
You're another one of the people I was thinking about during my recent reflection on friendships and growing up in general. When we were 7 or 8, me climbing up into that tree and hanging out over Harding Highway to talk to you while you sat in your bedroom windowseat was the most important thing ever. Going across the street to jump on your trampoline was a close second. But then I moved to Pleasantville (shh don't tell Hess School) and one day you weren't at school anymore. Somehow I eventually learned that you'd moved to New York and hadn't told me you were leaving, and that was the last I ever saw or heard of you until my random facebook wanderings.
But now that I've found you it's kind of weird. You're in New Mexico now and I think you're a lesbian and you work some sort of normal job and you don't go to school and as much as I hate to say this, I feel like you're going to go from being a person I haven't talked to to being a person I can't talk to, which is going to be sad. We don't have anything in common anymore, besides fuzzy memories of American Girl dolls and asparagus. Sadface. I do enjoy being updated on your life via facebook, though, so let's stay friends, k? Even if that's the only way we keep in touch.


Best,


Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment