Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I realized I am getting at least one thing out of this

online dating thing, even if it isn't any actual real world dates. I am doing something that terrifies me. I am doing what this cute little bit of sidewalk advises passersby to do:
Reblogged from 18° 15' N, 77° 30' W
And it can be hard sometimes. And it can be intimidating. And okay, I still blatantly ignore men who are obviously not worth my time and attention, so sue me. But, I am TALKING to people I don't know--I'm even having long and substantive conversations across a wide variety of topics with a couple of them. One guy even publicly left a compliment on my page about my conversation skills and how easy I was to talk to last night. And yeah okay maybe part of the difficulty I generally find in that is removed when your communication is via message or text, but I'd like to think that having these digital conversations with men I don't know will give me at least some practice, some idea of what to say and how to begin and how to not be the most awkward thing ever when someday I see a beautiful specimen on man in a coffee shop (or at the train station, or at the student center) and want to introduce myself. And so I think I'm going to keep doing it, at least for a little while. I don't really think it can hurt. It might even be doing me some good.  

2 comments:

  1. yesssssssss, another person on a dating site! My friend dared me to make a profile on OKCupid, and so I did, and now I'm having cool convos with people, too. And within the first, like, week of being on there, I found so many other Princeton kids on there; it was so weird.

    Which site are you on? Any horror stories? We'll have to talk about this when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on okc too! But it has been incredibly uneventful. All the actually interesting people are in NYC or Philly which are farrrrr and costly to get to.

    ReplyDelete