Monday, August 8, 2011

Reblogged from Vibe Vixen

This article made me laugh as I remembered the man who thought calling me Brown Chocolate was an appropriate way to garner my affections:

By Jessica C. Andrews at Vibe Vixen,

"Like most women, men have approached me since I was a child, 10 years old to be exact. Over the years, the attempts to get my number, whether through “Excuse Me Miss” speeches or full-on catcalls, have run the gamut from flattering to downright offensive.
And it seems the older I get, the more lewd and unbearable the approaches are. No matter how fine you are, here are 6 ways to NOT get my number:

1. Call me any name my parents did not give me.

No matter how many times you yell it, I will not respond to “Psst,” “Shortay,” “Yo” “Ma,” and the like. I have a name and approaching me that way will ensure you never know what it is.

2. Refer to me by using a body part, complexion or hair texture.

Men, if you call out a part of my body to identify me (i.e. “shorty with the fat butt,” “the short one” or “girl with the ‘fro”), it will just make me walk away faster. Sure I can put two and two together and figure out you’re talking to me. But guess what? I’m still not interested.

3. Approach a girl two seconds before you speak to me.

Let’s be clear: I don’t expect monogamy from men who holla at me on the street. But if you’re competing with your friends to see how many numbers you can get, or just can’t help but spit game to every girl you see, I am beyond turned off. Please find a whole stadium of seats.

4. Physically touch me.

I’ll never forget the time when I was walking through Atlantic Station and a guy grabbed me to spit game at me. Or the time a stranger on 42nd street cut in front of me and gave me a hug. Touching my body in any way is a guaranteed way to get me to turn down your advances—and run away from you as fast as I can.

5. Send your friend.

Now that we’ve graduated from elementary school, sending a friend to spit game on your behalf is pretty much unacceptable. You’re a big boy and can come up with lines all by yourself.

6. Too Many Lines.

Speaking of lines, I can tell when you’re reciting lyrics from Trey Songz’ latest album and when you’re being genuine. Spitting too much game is a good way to go home empty-handed"

No comments:

Post a Comment