Friday, June 17, 2011

2nd 30 Day Letter Challenge: Day Five--Letter to the Last Person Who Hit on You

Dear It's-Not-Like-You-Had-the-Manners-to-Introduce-Yourself, 

First off, don't go thinking you're special or anything because you got a Facebook status and a blog post, that's just a matter of circumstance. I was halfway hoping someone else would hit on me before today so I could write to them, but I can't say I'm really disappointed it didn't happen...it's a little uncomfortable. Like, part of me likes the attention and goes Mhmm I know I'm cute/sexy/fly but thanks for pointing it out, but another (larger?) part of me disapproves entirely of the manner by which you (and guys like you) choose to make your opinion known, and yet another part of me wonders if I really want to be considered attractive by the kind of guy who leans on sides of buildings/sits on front stoops and calls out to women as they pass by. That almost feels like I'm doing something wrong. But then I take a step back and remember that no, sir, YOU are in the wrong, and I'll be damned if you make me feel like I've made a bad decision by wearing shorts or walking with confidence or generally being presentable. So there.
Let's review what happened here, shall we? I was minding my own business, walking home from the train station after a long day of "work", not really demanding or even inviting your attention in any way. I certainly wouldn't have minded a compliment, but I feel the need to inform you, sir brotha, that "Brown Chocolate, Whassup baby?" is NOT a compliment. Let's dissect that statement: I am brown-skinned, yes, okay. Chocolate? Like you wanna eat me up? A) That's pretty damn forward, and B) I got that handled already, tyvm. Most importantly, I am not your "baby". You don't even know my name, and I'm supposed to answer to that? You and I both know I walked the hell away without the slightest hint of a response. I heard laughter after that, not sure if your boys were laughing at you  because I ignored you or if y'all were laughing at me because you said something rude in response to my ignoring you (which would just further prove all the points I'm trying to make here), but frankly [stranger] I don't give a damn. 
See, you don't know this, but the guy before you got a response, at least. It was a shut-down reference-to-my-boyfriend response, but it was a response. Why, you may ask? Well, situationally these events weren't much different, but he said, "Hey, come here and talk to me for a minute." That's...less intrusive. It seems more like I'm being offered an opportunity and less like I'm being reeled in on a line you've been casting all night. I felt like a person and not like a thing (you called me chocolate). I mean, granted, that other guy probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere either, but you could learn a thing or two from his approach. 
But really though, I would like you, and him, and other men who engage in this practice to sit down and think for a few minutes about "holleraing at" women. Because it just does not make sense to me that I'm expected to respond positively in any way to being halfway yelled at while I'm walking home. My advice: I can see myself hypothetically appreciating a line in a proper setting (aka not calling out to me while I'm walking down a street) and if it seems, Idk, sincere, like the guy is embarrassed about using the line because he thinks it's cheesy, instead of like hes been standing there all night calling out to every woman who walks past. I don't like when it seems practiced. Introducing yourself and saying you couldn't help but notice me from across the bar could be acceptable. Tell me your name. Don't call me baby when you don't even know mine. And don't yell at me.

This has been a public service announcement in the guise of a letter.

--Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment