Thursday, June 16, 2011

2nd 30 Day Letter Challenge--Day Four: Letter to Something You Have that Belongs to Someone Else

Dear Hong Kong T-Shirt,

T accused me of thinking about your owner when I suggested this letter topic. She's not wrong--that's a 24/7 practice, haha--but there were other things I could have written to, I promise! But you win because you're his and that makes you special.
It's becoming clear to me that I will never know how I came to be in possession of you. Adorably sneaky little shirt, you wormed your way into my laundry basket during the last few days of school and knew me well enough to know I wouldn't fold my laundry after washing it but would rather bring home the contents of the basket as such, thus only discovering you after I lolligagged around the house for a few days and then decided I could be bothered with silly thins like unpacking. I guess that makes you a pretty smart shirt. I was also pleasantly surprised that, unlike his HS hoodie, you actually fit me. Well, I suppose it is the life goal of every t-shirt to be worn as much as possible, and if that was in fact your intention, then I must say well-played, because as soon as I discovered you and that you fit, I decided you were my new pajamas for the summer.
Now I make sure to only do my laundry during the day, so that you're available for sleeping in every night. I would pack you with me if I were to go on vacation. I know it's all in my mind, but feeling you on my skin, and knowing that you are his and that my body is where his body once was...you make me feel like he's not so far away. You give me that peaceful easy sleep he gives me. You feel...right, and I'm glad mysterious universal forces brought you to me. And evidently he thinks you look good on me, so everybody's happy.
I think the fact that you're a Hong Kong shirt is kind of funny: it shows so clearly to anyone who knows me that you do not belong to me, and to anyone who knows me well enough to have listened to me gush about the person you do belong to since February, it screams the name of the person you do belong to. The more I think about it, it becomes clearer that he might not be getting you back anytime soon...but even so, I don't think you will ever become mine in the way I've appropriated other people's belongings in the past. Nope, for however long I keep it, you'll be a little part of the adventure he's taking me on, a simple little thing that reminds me of him. (I wouldn't have it any other way.)

I'm glad you're here to help me through this distance thing. 

Love 爱 (<-- Look what your owner just taught me!),

Maya   

No comments:

Post a Comment