Monday, June 20, 2011

So the blogosphere has been touting the benefits of olive oil for a long time

and I have been reluctant to try for reasons I can't really even identify. But after I manipulated it a lot to come up with some pretty cute styles involving hideaway combs last week (including a fro-hawk that actually looked like a hawk according to my friend B and a half back look with cute side bangs) my hair was pretty frustrated with me today. I cowashed in the shower like usual BEFORE going to the beach, and even then it was dry and frizzy and like it was not in a good mood, so I promised it an overdue deep condition post-ocean and left for ShopRite. I knew my hair needed some good moisturization, but the new products I just bought from CurlMart won't be in til Wednesday and I was not about to spend dinero on something to tide me over from CVS. Then at ShopRite T was checking out olive oil for pasta, and there was some on sale for $2 and I said...this might be worth a shot for my overworked hair. 
So I came back from the beach with sand like, visible in my curls and before I even cooked dinner I decided to treat my hair because it deserved some love and affection. I showered and applied my DC, then ran a bath, poured some OO into the water too because the random foreign lady on the aisle at ShopRite reminded me of the wonders it can work on skin too, and relaxed with music playing and the awesome book I'm reading for a 45 minute soak. I could feel the OO coating my skin in a delicious silkiness like really good lotion, and when it was time to rinse the DC out I just slid farther back into the tub til my head was underwater, letting the conditioner come out and the olive-oily-water take its place. Then I poured some OO into my palm and worked that into my scalp, then spread another palmful or two sparingly from roots to ends. 
AND LET ME TELL YOU, my hair feels so soft and bouncy and luscious right now! Rarely have I ever found a product that can take me so dramatically from dry mess to tight curls, and it was TWO DOLLARS. Even if it is working in conjunction with the DC, DAYUM. 
Long story short, olive oil is going to become a part of my regular stash. I might go back to ShopRite to stock up while it's on sale. And I don't think I smell like a salad, so it's all good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment