Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My life is such a strange mixture of childhood and adulthood.

I suppose I should expect that, based on everything I learned doing my independent work this year, but the degree to which my lived experiences mirror/exceed what I found in my research still strikes me.
I guess part of this feeling stems from being back home for these past two weeks. It's so easy to feel like no time at all has passed as I slip back into familiar roles with my mom, my brother and sister, my friends from high school, my town as a concept. It's so easy to do all the familiar comfortable old things again: friends' houses that haven't changed in recent memory, the same old mall, the same old bowling alley, the same pink house we park next to when we go to the beach. Home is...comfortable, like a favorite sweatshirt, but also makes me feel as though I haven't aged. 
Except now I can drink...legally. Which means I get to see my hometown/the surrounding area in one new light: that of the local bar scene. I can find out today that I got an A on my JP (!!!) and then hit up happy hour at Applebee's with my bestie for drinks and not get carded and simply enjoy life. I can enjoy an amaretto sour from the bar at the bowling alley I've been going to since I was so little I had to squat and push the ball on the floor with both hands to get it down the lane. 
And that's not the only thing that reminds me I'm an adult. I sent my landlord (!) the check for my first month's rent (!) at the place in New Brunswick I'm subletting yesterday. I'm embarking on the process of buying a netbook to replace my computer that got stolen. I'm a real person, I promise. 
And yet I bought sidewalk chalk and a water gun from Five Below this week. When I went to fill out my I-9 because I have a job on campus this summer, the woman at the Financial Aid office didn't know how to fill out the form because I'd brought a non-driver ID instead of a license, because I don't have one. Sure I'm moving out to live in a house on my own for the first time (even temporarily), but my mom is still driving me and all my shit. 
I just feel so in-between in so many ways. But I've learned that that's how I'm SUPPOSED to feel right now, that that's what your twenties are for, so I guess I'm on the right track. This growing up thing is so hard.   

No comments:

Post a Comment