Monday, August 22, 2011

I can only handle so much race-related bullshit in short periods of time

I've had problems with Vogue for a while. In response to criticism about their lack of diverse models, Vogue launched the spinoff "Vogue Black" which is cool and all, and I'm glad to see us celebrated, but Vogue, in case you haven't heard, separate is inherently unequal. I wanna see women that look like me in the pages of your worth-gazillions-of-dollars magazine, not relegated to an interesting corner of the interwebs. 
But this makes that look like a stroll in the fucking park: Vogue evidently thinks large hoop earrings are a throwback to the fashion statements made my my enslaved foremothers. That's right, while we all thought they were out there just trying to work hard enough to possibly not get whipped by their overseers and struggling to keep their families together and avoid legally sanctioned rape, and dealing with the psychological trauma of being an object rather than a human being, they were also evidently totally concerned with the image of beauty they portrayed. I mean, I know they didn't get paid or even get enough food to support their families, but they totally rocked gold earrings. And who cares about the food situation anyway?--the emaciated look is still en vogue. //end sarcasm

Vogue says about gold hoop earrings:
"If the name brings to the mind the decorative traditions of the women of colour who were brought to the southern Unites States during the slave trade, the latest interpretation is pure freedom." 
I'm pretty sure my latest interpretation is pure ignorance and a complete trivialization of history and its lasting effects on your part, Vogue. 

*disgust* 

No comments:

Post a Comment