Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I think it speaks volumes about our generation

that as 20-somethings all up and down the East Cost (South Carolina to New Hampshire and evidently as far inward at Cleveland and Detroit) are experiencing their first earthquake, rather than running for the lowest levels in their houses or hiding under tables or whatever you're supposed to do in an earthquake--those guidelines don't really get hammered into our heads as kids in Jersey--, we were updating our Facebook statuses. I was talking to E on Skype and told her my house was shaking and she said someone was walking on her roof and we realized it might be an earthquake?! In New Jersey?! What!?! And by the time we came to that conclusion, it was over. And statuses had been updated telling me it was felt in DC, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio at the very least. I saw all of this before going outside to see any potential damage. Before calling my mom. Before anything. Potentially life-threatening natural disaster? Lemme go update my status just in case I die...

I can't say it wasn't incredibly convenient and faster than the news, though. Social networking is crazy, man.

1 comment: