Monday, September 5, 2011

It's almost my favorite season!

"If winter is slumber and spring is birth, and summer is life, then autumn rounds out to be reflection." -- Mitchell Burgess

I have always loved the Fall. As the summer winds down, it becomes time for back to school shopping: new clothes! (Sweaters, boots, jeans, scarves, hats!) new school supplies! (I got these liquid graphite pencils...writes like a pen, erases like a pencil, but becomes permanent after 24 hours so you could use it on official forms and stuff. THE COOLEST.) Then we actually go back to school, see friends we haven't seen in a while, generally get our normal social lives back. A nerd through and through, I like being intellectually stimulated and having academic work to do, so that too is always a plus for a little while, at least. 

But there's more to it than that. There's something about autumn itself. The world gets cool and crisp and beautiful. Nature shows its true colors. I often find myself bending down to pick up a particularly ravishing leaf before it gets trampled, and I love the satisfying crunch of walking over discarded leaves as well. It all seems so refreshing to me, though I suppose Spring is supposed to inspire that feeling more than Fall. Fall seems to be about cooling off, getting comfortable, snuggling into places to get ready for the Winter. So, in light of the above quote, I want to make sure I'm comfortable with myself this Fall, snuggled into a place I want to be throughout this Winter and the forseeable future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment