Thursday, October 13, 2011

I met Forest Whittaker on my way to class today.

Saw a group of my favorite professors (Imani Perry, Daphne Brooks, Eddie Glaude) hanging out in the lobby of the African-American Studies building, so I walked over to say hey, when lo and behold the guy from Panic Room (not even what he's famous for, I know, but it's what my head instantly shoots to) is in the middle of this circle just chatting it up with Daphne. 

I run upstairs to tell my classmates and we come back downstairs and start awkwardly lingering outside this circle, not wanting to interrupt but also not wanting to miss this opportunity. Eddie Glaude tries to shoo us upstairs, but of course we retreat all of 3 inches and continue to ogle. Eventually I guess he notices us and breaks away from the professors to come over and say hi--what a gentleman! We each introduce ourselves and he shakes our hands and then more people show up so we run away giggling like schoolgirls and give our fellow classmates the chance to meet him before class starts. 

Then we get back to our room and start talking about how like, if we were normal people in the real world, running into a celebrity would be such a big deal. I've met so many famous people here (Philicia Rashad, Toni Morrison, Tavis Smiley, Joyce Carol Oates, CK Lewis, Frankie Muniz, The Far East Movement, now Forest Whittaker, and that's not even counting my famous professors...) that I'm almost desensitized to it. I just introduced myself and was cool...and that's CRAZY when you think about it. 

Oh, the things Princeton has done to me. And damn, this place is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment