Thursday, October 6, 2011

A girl I went to high school with is getting married the day after tomorrow.

Okay, okay, so I know some people who got pregnant and/or married right out of high school. But with very few exceptions, these were people who hadn't done well in high school, weren't going to college...there was no real reason for them to delay starting their families. This girl is different. I knew this girl fairly well, meaning she did at least some Honors and AP courses. She played sports. She graduated in the top 20% of our class, thus qualifying for the NJ Stars program. And thus, when it appeared on my News Feed some time ago that she was engaged, I had the curious sensation that this was a real engagement, not a "my-love-life-is-sad-so-let-me-be-engaged-to-my-BFF" engagement, or something otherwise constructed but not real. If I needed further proof, she started talking about wedding rings. And then today I saw a few of our mutual friends had written encouraging things on her wall and talked about pictures and the soon-to-be hubby, and with a little digging I learned their wedding is this Saturday and I was just like...

...

...

WE. ARE. CHILDREN. What is happening?!? I'M TOO YOUNG FOR PEOPLE I KNOW TO BE GETTING MARRIED. SHE'S NOT EVEN PREGNANT. THEY'RE JUST DOING THIS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. WE'RE TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. 

Don't we not live in that world where you go to college to find a man anymore? Okay, that was rude. I just wasn't expecting this to start happening to like, people that seemed destined to have at least fairly successful futures yet. I thought we as a generation were pushing back the marriage age to the late twenties and generally being fearful of growing up. 

My longest relationship lasted for four months. How do I know people that are getting married?!

No comments:

Post a Comment