Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I'm going to DC!

Not sure exactly when yet, but I got an email from a woman I had a phone interview with before Christmas for this awesome-sounding Survey Associate position at one of the country's leading policy research centers asking my availability during the month of January to come to DC for an in-person interview! I'm trying to be as conveniently flexible as possible, so I basically gave her every day that I'm on campus in January besides Dean's Date, the day before Dean's Date, and the day before my last take-home is due. And I was sitting at my computer wondering how to get to DC (I'm thinking NJTransit to Trenton, Septa to Philly, Amtrak to DC--they'll reimburse me) when I realized that DC is a major city. So major a city, in fact, that Pariah might be playing there.

So I went to check the website and YES! It opens in exactly one theater in DC this Friday. So I'm basically buying a ticket as soon as my interviewer nails down a date. Maybe I'll even contact a few of my friends who live in DC and make an adventure out of it. 

I'm BEYOND excited for the chance to interview and the opportunity to see Pariah, because it will certainly never open in Mays Landing. I could potentially try to pull all sorts of Princetonian strings (the Women's Center, LGBT Center, Af-Am Studies program, Gender and Sexuality dept, Carl A. Fields Center for Diversity and Multicultural Understanding, etc.) to organize a trip to NYC to still it, but...hmm, actually, no buts. I might still try to do that, haha! 

And for those of you who don't know what I'm referring to, check out the trailer below. It's a feature film based on an independent Black film that won all kinds of awards at Sundance in 2007, about a young Black lesbian coming of age in Brooklyn, and I've been itching to see it since I first starting reading about the short film AGES ago.  These are the stories of Black America that I want to start hearing more and more about. These are the voices that have been silenced.

Trailer:

 

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is incredible. That's all I have to say about that.

    And I also love hearing stories like this.
    I'm so glad I found you on 20SB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, B! You made my day. And thanks for following me! I just checked your blog out and it seems like something I could really enjoy, so I'm following you too! Yay new 20SB friends!

    ReplyDelete