Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The previous post taught me a WONDERFUL new word!

It is the best new word I have learned in a while. It makes all the sociologist and feminist and race-scholar parts of me simultaneously happy.

If you were reading closely, I bet you saw it too, and were like, hmm, this word, what does it mean? 

Kyriarchy

(n.) a social system or set of interlocking social systems built around domination, oppression, and submission...coined by Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza to describe interconnected, interacting, and self-extending systems of domination and submission, in which a single individual might be oppressed in some relationships and privileged in others.
(via wikipedia)

Basically, it's like, yo, I heard you like intersectionality, so I put some intersectionality in your intersectionality. And I need to go read all the things that employ this concept like immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment