Thursday, October 4, 2012

My great-grandmother passed away last week. I took an impromptu trip to Savannah on Sunday and Monday for the viewing and funeral.

It was great seeing some family members I hadn't seen in nearly a decade, as well as some I'd just met for the first time about two months ago at my aunt's family reunion. My cousin who is the same age as me has a three year old daughter, and it was great to meet her and see them interact. My cousin who is two years younger than me and I interacted in a way that was just the same but different than when we were kids--we played a game together and watched a movie. When we were 14 and 12 (the last time we saw each other), this was Grand Theft Auto and Harry Potter. This time around it was chess on his iPhone and The Hunger Games. He didn't mention anything about it, but I heard through the family grapevine that he is going to be a father soon. This blows my mind.

But I think the most fascinating part of this whole experience is this: 

Things I did not cry at: my great-grandmother's funeral.

Things I cried at: the sympathy card some of my coworkers got me because she passed.

...I'm not sure what this says about me as a person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment