Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I always say I would NEVER have wanted to go to a big state school...

...but that's not exactly the whole truth. There are occasionally, times when I semi-seriously wonder what it would have been like. I'm going through one of those times right now. 

What is this time inspired by, you might ask? Well, I was sniffing around on Google, trying to come up with (read: steal) some ideas for what the black groups I plan events for on campus could do to welcome new students to campus. Firstly, I was surprised by the sheer number of results I got. I was so excited, look at all these links that [supposedly] contain ideas I can bring to my campus! :D :D :D *mental cartwheels*

...Then I started clicking on them, and was SORELY disappointed. And not in the usual google-search-didn't-give-me-what-I-want way, but in the so-and-so state's CENTER FOR BLACK CULTURAL AND STUDENT AFFAIRS hosts an annual BLACK STUDENT ORIENTATION, or so and so university's BLACK CULTURAL CENTER welcomes black students in this-or-that way, or other-small-private-liberal-arts-school's African American Student Affairs center, etc. etc. etc. when the director of our "Multicultural Center" just gives us empty promises and dry criticisms. I really can't imagine a possibility in which a large effort to make black students feel welcome and included on campus comes from the center itself, rather than our student organizations begging and pleading for its "support" while we scrape something together ourselves.

Sorry, moment of *angryrant*

No comments:

Post a Comment