Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti...

Heh, so I've got this friend that always says that before he came to college, he didn't know what a "Haitian" was. I wasn't much better, but now some of my closest friends are Haitians, and I just want to take this time to let them and everyone else know that my heart is truly with them at this time.

I'm not a religious person, but I'm helping to put together a Candlelight Prayer Service in the University Chapel tonight for my Haitian friends. I'm not a religious person, so I don't pray, but that doesn't mean I won't be there. I'm not a religious person, so I don't pray, but I do believe that thoughts become things, and that we shape the world around us with our every thought and action, so I will light my candle tonight in the hope that the only news my friends hear will be good news. I will envision joyous family reunions and tears of joy streaming down their faces, and pour as much effort as I can into willing these visions into being.

I have seen images of a capitol destroyed, buildings that stood strong 25 hours ago now fallen to rubble, human beings coated in dust, the bodies of babies being piled high. I have watched videos of people running for their lives. I have heard stories that have brought tears to my eyes and friends, for your sakes, I hope that I hear no more. I have seen images that have made me feel entirely helpless.

Thoughts become things, so choose the good ones--they'll shape your destiny. When my check comes in on Friday, I'm going to donate to relief efforts, and I encourage everyone else to do so as well. I'm not a religious person....but it's times like these I wish I could believe there was a reason for it all...

 *later* ...I must be a bit of a masochist, because after I finished writing this, I looked for more videos and pictures of what was going on in Haiti. I found one of a rescue, and it gave me the little bit of hope I needed to keep thinking good thoughts. Miracles do happen, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment