Thursday, May 24, 2012

I need feminism because "'Guys like that don't date girls like me' has been said in my presence one too many times. Not agreeing on music or politics is one thing, accepting the close minded, bigoted socially constructed version of beauty from a boy you like, and feeling like less for it is entirely different.
-- Who Needs Feminism

Reblogged because "said in my presence," for me, means not only that I have friends who have said this/things to this effect, but that such things have also come out of my own mouth, and that has to stop. That kind of attitude reduces both the self and the object of affection to prescriptive stereotypical roles and just isn't doing anything productive/constructive for anyone involved. Subset of my new "Why not?" philosophy on life: What do you have to lose? 

No comments:

Post a Comment