Saturday, February 4, 2012

Art I Want in My Life:

Reblogged from 18° 15' N, 77° 30' W
Hmm.

I decided I wanted this in my life before I realized that both of the figures in the painting are women. This doesn't influence my wanting it in my life in any way, but I do wonder what the fact that I didn't notice that right away says about me. 

It could be something terrible about me being a cis-gendered-ist heteronormative person who just goes around assuming that paintings of lovers include a male and a female.

OR, it could mean something awesome, like I've broken out of the dominant conceptualization of heterosexuality as "normal" and everything else as "deviant," and so I can accept this image of female lovers as readily as I can accept images of heterosexual (or any other) lovers without having to acknowledge their homosexuality. 

...But which is it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment