Monday, March 14, 2011

Numbers are powerful.

It's crazy how a simple date on the calendar can have such strong associations with it, no matter how much time has passed since the occurrences you're remembering. It's funny how much people and relationships and circumstances can change in just a few years. 

It's Pi Day! In high school, this was a day I spent weeks and weeks planning for. I had pi day t-shirts and fell asleep listening to recordings of myself reading the digits to help me learn as many as possible. I designed a two-man three-legged pi race, that I like to believe is still being used today. I was the freaking President of the Math Club. People laugh so hard when I tell them that here, because I've run far far away from math and the natural/physical sciences. 

It's also my friend T's birthday. He eats pie on his birthday instead of cake; he doesn't actually like cake, which seems appropriate. We're not as close as we used to be, but today opens this little floodgate of memories of when we were best friends. We were part of this big group of people that used to be my whole world, and it's crazy that now they're people I see a few times a year at best. It's a little sad. 

So today I'll watch funny videos of Pi Days of yesteryear, and contemplate getting to know my friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment