Friday, May 27, 2011

New Summer Goal: Learn to Do Things with My Hair

I always hear lots of my friends who are natural talk about how much they love the versatility of their hair. Now I'm not down for versatility when that word means heating my hair or hiding it under a wig/weave, but I've come to realize that wearing my hair in the same totally free unstyled way it naturally falls, while easy and convenient and cute...is kind of boring. 
When I first went natural, it was like I'd started a new love affair with the fuzzy black spirals growing out of my head. I was always trying to find the best product, the best technique...but once I found a regiment that worked for me I fell back, only trying a new product or toy for my hair on rare occasions. My hair has become one of my most defining features over the course of the last 16 months since I decided to go and stay natural--people who meet me now, when they see pictures of my old straightened hair, don't understand how that ever could have been me. My curly fro is me. 
And I love that. But I am anything but static and predictable. I love being a wash-and-go kind of girl, but some days that has to leave room for some styling. I want to change it up sometimes. The basic fro will always be there, don't worry, but I wanna...play with it a little. I already have a bunch of combs, bobby pins, and headbands...I rarely use them. But now, this summer, I will have them at the ready. I will scour the interwebs for naturals with similar hair textures whose styles I love, and I will try to emulate them. Maybe I will add my own twists/flair. It's gonna be an adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Woo! I'm so excited! Try getting an industrial-sized banana clip haha. Also, youtube probably has a bunch of video tutorials and stuff to watch

    ReplyDelete